$39 each course
Save $10 on your 1st purchase, use code ‘PROMO10’
NOW only $29 !
Enter your email to receive our sailing tips and newsletter !
SAILING COURSE 6 ‘CREW ROLES AND CLUB RACING’
Learn to sail online with PrepSail
Best suited for experienced sailors, this sailing course outlines the roles and responsibilities of crew members on board of a yacht. The coordination of activities is important to optimize boat performance and safety.
This course describes the key positions on keelboats, and the tasks each crew is expected to perform while cruising or racing. It also gives an introduction to the rules of sailing and club racing.
The course content is as follows:
1. Team work and crew positions: Sailing is a challenging sport requiring skills and team work. It is important to understand roles on a keelboat to identify the position each crew is best suited for, based on their individual skills and preferences. The correct sequencing of each activity will form the basis of effective team work.
2. Crew roles during manoeuvres: Each crew has a define role on a sailing boat and this role include a set of activities specific to each manoeuvre. Certain activities can be completed by one individual, and others need to be synchronized with other crew activities.
3. Weight distribution and communication: A well-trained crew will react to changes in velocity or boat speed automatically; moving forward and to leeward as the breeze dies or the boat slows and back up to weather when the boat heels over in a puff.
4. Race organization: Keelboat Clubs offer sailors racing in all formats to suit all levels of competition. Inshore racing consist of a series of short races, generally finished in a few hours and it is a good way to practice any learning.
5. Introduction to club racing: There is a few type of races. The first one is the ‘Pursuit race’, which is when a start time is given to the boat in relation to his handicap. The first few boats to finish are the first, second and third winner. The second type is the handicap race when every boat are starting at the same time across the starting line and the finished boat will have results varying from across the line to its handicap.
At the end of this course, you will understand the individual tasks performed by each crew during manoeuvres, and the impact of crew weight placement. In addition, you will learn an introduction to the rules of sailing and club racing.
TO PURCHASE this course, press the ‘BUY NOW’ button under the thumbnail photo.
Alternatively, you can enroll to the full sailing series with the entire 6 courses.
Not only did this experience teach me the proper sailing manoeuvres and rules of racing as promised, but it also taught me how to learn independently. Most significantly, the experience taught me the skills that will enable me to develop my yacht racing skills beyond the eLearning course.
You prepare people to carry out skills in the real world. Keep up the good work. What I have learned in this course, I will be able to apply in the world of sailing and racing.